International moving means a fresh start. Perhaps you’re relocating for a new job, to be closer to family or to experience a different lifestyle.
No matter the reason, settling into a home halfway around the globe is a big change. Everything’s new. Looking ahead, of course, you’re excited! But it can be intimidating as you also look around your home and realize how much stuff you’ll need to bring with you.
At Quality Moving Service, we have been in the moving industry for 25 years, and we have helped solve countless moving dilemmas. We have a long track record of helping people plan and execute international moves. And we are here to help as you begin this next phase of your life.
International Move Checklist
When you’re planning a move, you can never be too organized. That goes double or triple for moving overseas.
Start early if possible. Aim for a three-month head start — or even more if you’re moving a family. Break your goals and chores into smaller tasks. Once you push yourself past the starting line, life will move fast, and your lists will help you feel in control.
Here are 9 tips for planning an international move:
- Gather documentation: Always know where your passport, birth certificates, marriage certificate, government ID, health records and child custody paperwork are at all times. Don’t allow this to be packed into a box. Keep these papers in a file folder separate from your other belongings. You may also want to scan these files and keep them on a portable hard drive, but keep the originals with you, on your person, as you travel.
- Start letting people know: File a change of address form with the post office. Inform your bank. Make a list of all the utilities you’ll need to have turned off. Cancel your subscriptions or have them forwarded. Some of these tasks are the same for a local or interstate move. Planning an international move means you also need to notify your tax preparer, your credit card company, and your cellular service provider.
- Research your new home! This is an exciting step. Thanks to Google Maps, you can likely take a virtual walk around the block. Start looking at the menus of nearby restaurants, the schools you’ll attend, gyms, parks, veterinarians’ offices. Take some time to picture yourself in your new home abroad. Which of your belongings can’t you imagine life without? Add them to the checklist, and start to make peace with any items you’ll be parting ways with. Consider donating furniture to a charity.
- Visit your doctors, dentist and optometrist. Let them know you are moving and ask about how your new health-care providers should reach out to them if necessary. Make sure you’re up to date on vaccinations and prescriptions in case it takes longer than usual to get settled when you move.
- If you have pets, do your research about any possible quarantine or vaccination records you’ll need.
- Check out the insurance you’ll need and what carries over. You may need to purchase additional health insurance.
- If you’ll be returning to the city you live in at some point, consider renting a storage unit or warehouse space. Quality Moving Service has safe, secure, climate-controlled warehouse storage in Vacaville, CA. If you find you’ll need extra storage at your new destination, or if you’re living in a temporary rental for part of the stay, let us connect you with international moving and storage providers.
- Research customs and study the language. You’ll want to fit in with your new neighbors.
- Look for qualified international movers. We’ll take the time to listen to you and understand what your move requires. You may not have moved out of the country before — or maybe this is your first big move, ever. It’s not ours. With professional international movers on your side, you will feel confident and reassured.
International Moving Services
We are an agent of Wheaton World Wide Van Lines, which means you’ll never be alone during your globe-hopping journey.
Our team of international packers and movers will be with you every step of the way. We’ll help you pack your home, load your furniture and belongings onto a moving truck, keep track of it while in transit, and make sure that all of your goods arrive on time and unharmed.
You’re off to a good start by researching international relocation services.
As you compare companies, here are few things to make note of:
- The moving company’s licensing and insurance.
- The background checks their packers and movers go through before being hired.
- Their global reach and support network. You want a team that is familiar with international shipping rules.
- Their years in business. Any fly-by-night operation can slap a logo on a van and call itself a moving service. But only a few are backed by the worldwide cachet that comes with being a Wheaton moving agent.
Hiring International Movers
Partner with the experts. Our team of moving experts is dedicated to providing you with top-notch customer service.
If a big move is on your calendar, our experienced international movers will handle packing, unpacking, crating, shipping, installing, assembly and much more, all at an affordable price. We will ensure that everything is done safely and efficiently, to allow you to fully embrace your new life.
Call Quality Moving Service today at (800) 380-1633 or fill out this form for a free quote.